Monday, July 16, 2012

Math 2 Music

Little Mister definitely understands the concept of counting. However, he says 2...1...! Yeah, that's backwards! When he is racing cars he tells me, "3, 2, 1 Mommy" meaning for me to say Ready, Set.... Go! We have been working on counting for some time already but counting to 3 has been a challenge. For instance, I ask him to bring me 3 cars so we can play. Cheerfully, he selects 3 cars and proudly counts them as 2, 1, 2! So, I thought maybe I should give the rout method a try (of course I had to add a little twist!).

Objective- Understands the Concept of 1, 2, and 3 (MS Early Learning Guidelines for Infants and Toddlers: Mathematical Development 2.1.6)

Materials- Cans, tape, balloons, rubberbands

Procedure-
1. Clean three cans and make sure there are no sharp edges around the rim.
2.  For added procaution, tape around the edges of the can with electrical or duct tape.
3. Cut the narrow part off a balloon and stretch the remainder over the top of the can.
4. Secure in place with a rubberband.
5. Tap out a rhythm of 3 while chanting 1, 2, 3! Over and over!






1 comment:

  1. oh great idea. my son used to count 2, 2, 2, 2, threeeeeeee. then it went 2, 1, 2, threeee. now it's 1, 2, 5. Yeah we are working on it. I like this idea. we may have to try it!

    Following you from the kids co--op linkup. Love the name of your blog!

    Alex @ teachthroughplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete