Sunday, September 23, 2012

Scripture Tree: Teaching Compassion

Those of you who have been here before probably remember that I have recently lost a sister to cancer. Well, a few days ago a very close family friend, affectionately known as Granny M, lost her son. Ironically enough, several members of this family helped me SO much through the initial stages of my grieving process. We wanted to somehow reciprocate their loving kindness.

Little Mister has been surrounded by loads of sadness and mourning as of late. Through it all, I wanted to think of a way to reinforce his understanding of kindness and compassion to others. I also want him to learn how God's word is there for us when we are sad, lonely, angry or hurting. It can speak to our personal situation and make us feel better. Hurting may be slow to leave, but we can have a peace in our hearts knowing that God, who loves us very much, has this whole world in his hands; that includes me AND you!


So, I found a few scriptures and wrote them on construction paper. We slipped the paper into ziploc bags. I used a hole punch (making sure to stay on the outer part of the sealed area) and made a hole in the top middle. We then added a piece of cut yarn to tie on as a hook.
 

 We wanted it to be a surprise for her to find on her way to church in the morning. This explains the night shots. Yes, I had my son out late. We tried to be stealthy. However, when I opened the car door he yells, "Oh Mommy, the Moon. It's so pretty!" No one called the police so I don't think they heard him. LOL


We love this family and hope they can find strength and comfort in the Word of God!

12 comments:

  1. i am not a religious person, but this was such a wonderful and caring idea.

    Found you through the sync :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea! I will keep you all in my prayers...

    Stopping by from the Super Sunday Sync - so glad it lead me to your blog! New follower, for sure :)

    Have a blessed Sunday!

    Smooches,
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Super Sunday Sync! Looking forward to reading more of your blog!
    www.dawnsdisaster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that's a beautiful idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! I have a friend whose daughter is currently awaiting a heart transplant... I think this would be a great thing to do for her! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! This scripture tree is SUCH a good idea. I'm in love with it! Helping our kids learn about the Bible and God and His love is key, even before you think they can understand. Thank you for this idea!

    Also--thanks for stopping by from the SSS hop :) Now your newest follower!

    xoxo Kera

    ReplyDelete
  7. how precious this is. i bet this touched her heart beyond belief. wonderful that you woul do something so kind. a great lesson for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous idea! I love it! Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea, thanks so much for sharing on the We Made That Linky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a beautiful idea! thanks for sharing on the Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another awesome one! Pinned. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a sweet idea Julie! We may have to try this sometime. I am thinking it could even encourage someone if hung on a random tree in a public place!

    ReplyDelete